Thursday, July 19, 2012

July 19 – Day 19

Today was a day unlike any other. I refuse to justify this humble blog with any more of a superfluous opening. This post will inadequately attempt to describe the euphoric experience of Shad Valley 2012. In this preface, I would like to propose one final idea, which is to apologize whole heartedly for the shortcomings of this blog entry and my skills as a writer.

This point bridges to a thought that has been burning through my soul for the past fortnight and five, and that is why a man so ineffective as myself would ever be selected for this wondrous, transformational experience. I feel as if a butterfly crawling out of his cocoon for the first time, and finally being able to soar above this wonderful world and experience all that it has to offer. Colours have never been so bright, jokes so funny or people so smart as they are here on the beautiful campus of Queens.

Shining over us is the omnipotent Ontario Hall Clock Tower, yet it itself is a symbol for my own imperfection. The grave injustice with which this clock was created serves as a constant reminder of my own deficiencies, as the roman numerals that be bare an unforgivable error. The forth hour is disgraced with four “I”s in the place of an “IV”. This despondence is a crucifixion to the flawless tranquility of the Queens campus, and yet it is a symbol of the very mantra of Shad Valley, in that even the most intimidating of beings have a hidden flaw nested within.

Shad Valley has preached that failure is a viable option. This is a paradigm altering epiphany which has resurrected me from my own negativity. With this awakening, I was able to contribute absolutely to my group project, which meets its end on the morrow. The subject: obesity. The solution: innovative, exceptional, revolutionary. The fruit of my group’s labour bore the shocking brilliance of a breakthrough, revitalizing an old practice with new technology. It is this innovation by my peers that weaves the very fabric of the Shad Valley experience and, enhanced by the wisdom of experts in various fields, we are empowered to excel.

The ending of this post will be succinct and sorrowful, for the reflection upon the fact that only a quarter of a moon cycle remains for me to be immersed within my newfound family wrenches my heart and diffuses my spirit. I would like to thank Shad Valley without wax for this opportunity and for all the incredible staff at Queens who have facilitated my development.

Per aspera ae astra.

Jack Schoner, Shad Valley Queens 2012